Important Notice

Sorry, this is still in maintenance!

Hi and welcome to my blog!

If you are a first-time visitor, or looking for the posts I consider most important ('cause I'm posting a lot), please go here or click "About Me" at the top of the page!
Otherwise just have fun!


Sonntag, 17. März 2013

Kangaroos and Hockey Saturday!

So guys, just a warning up front, I did exactly two things today:
Pet kangaroos and watch hockey.
A lot of the latter, to be honest.

Today were an unbelievable 13 hockey games (so 26 out of 30 teams played today), amongst others my Blackhawks vs. the Dallas Stars, who edged them into Over Time the last time they played - but Chicago won 3-2.

But let's do this chronological (but stick around for pool tweets! :D).

I woke up this morning and left my bed pretty grudgingly at ten o'clock after about ten hours of sleep (and now I'm not tired anymore, although I could have slept until three in the afternoon again ... but it shouldn't be. I don't know what's up with my sleeping rhythm -_-), stood up, had the last waffle from last dinner with syrup for breakfast, holed up in my room and did ... I don't even know what I did.
I couldn't tell you, honestly.
Oh, right, I weeded out the tumblr and twitter blogs I follow and unfollowed eleven out of my previously 60 blogs and two out of my previously 102 twitters.

Then I trolled a blog about hockey and laughed at a couple of old pic spams with guys making idiotic faces (check out that tumblr, toewsface, for stupid faces my favourite player makes during games) and started watching the 2011 All Star Skill Competition, when Tanya came into my room and told me it was time to go - to a kangaroo farm!

It's run by a Canadian and his British wife, and they do have a couple of kangaroos and wallabies, smaller kangaroos. And they are, for the most part, tame! So you can actually pet them!

Me with a Joey :) It was a girl, I think Sidney was her name
And that joey up close

A really tame kangaroo - can you see her joey in her pouch?

And one of the slightly more wild kangaroos - or wallabies?
I honestly don't know.

We only stayed out for an hour, but we had ice cream on the way back!
And then it started raining, and I didn't know what to do, so I screwed around on facebook a bit, stumbling over this article in Die Süddeutsche (so it's in German, sorry!), which, while interesting, just horribly, horribly badly written.
The things I have the most problems with:
  1. The author didn't even try.
    Most of that is just haphazardly thrown together like "Oh, my, deadline is tomorrow and I need to write that," without any regard for the flow of the piece, which in my opinion is atrocious.
  2. The aforementioned flow.
    Maybe that's just me and my dislike of formal German language that so often still sounds so informal, but it sounds both too informal and too stilted at the same time.
  3. Punctuation
    Oh My God.
    It seems like the author never has heard of a semicolon - ';'.
    Semicolons are used, both in English and in German, to separate two equal sentence parts. It is stronger than a colon ',', but stronger than a dot '.'.
    This author uses solely colons, which makes the article super confusing to read. He is being paid for this. Usually, an editor reads through this.
    How come they don't know this?
    Yes, I didn't know how exactly to use a semicolon either until my English lessons here, but I'm fifteen and he's a professional writer. Seriously, though, he should know how to use the semicolon; it is his job, after all. 
  4. Wrap-up.
    He says the boy was told by apple not to go public with his story - but he's writing an article about it? Why?
    The wrap-up of the article is made even worse by the fact that the wrong punctuation makes it very confusing.
Maybe you don't agree with me on all these points, but I like my clearly structured language, so the wrong punctuation is the worst for me.
I just wonder HOW? Why doesn't anybody catch that stuff?

After I was done thrashing that article on my tumblr, I watched the Blackhawks game.
I didn't want to watch it at first, but I didn't have anything better to do and the players had clearly had a great time yesterday, if their tweets are anything to go by (from two guys, Andrew Shaw and Viktor Stalberg

@Shawz15er: Nice day in Dallas!
@Shawz15er: Relaxing by the pool in Dallas















I'm not quite sure whether they did it to actually troll each other or because management said "You gotta engage more with the fans, just look at Paul Bissonette" a.k.a BizNasty2point0, who's really hilarious, but it was great.
Oh, and then Shawzy tweeted that picture:
- Jimmy Hayes was recalled from their American Hockey League or Minors affiliate, the Rockford IceHogs, because Patrick Sharp is injured, and I'm guessing Toews voted for sushi (he's known for liking sushi, although his teammates don't seem exactly repulsed by it)...

Aaaaanyway, so they started the game against Dallas, and I was a bit afraid, because they went to Over Time the last time, as I mentioned, but then I saw on my twitter feed that Toews had scored, and started the game - just in time to catch the replay of his second goal of the night!

By the time I had to leave, in the middle of the second period, the Hawks were up 5-0 and had chased the starting goal tender Kari Lehtonen, who allowed four goals on 17 shots for a save percentage of 75%, which is bad.
But then there was the Rockets game!
This is the setup where the Rockets come out of the tunnel (and I'm sorry, but that guy decided to walk through just at that moment -_-):
The first Rocket streaking out of the tunnel!


Well, during the first intermission, I asked Andy to check the Hawks score for me, as I'd left them with 5-0, and Andy says to me "8-1" and I'm like "WHAT?! SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?" And yes, seriously.
I looked at the boxscore, and I've hardly ever seen something more beautiful.

Anyway, the Rockets started it really up after that and finished the game with 4-2, which was completed by Zach Franko, who'd been checked into the boards really badly right in front of our seat and taken two or three minutes just to get up (and he still looked super shaky), who scored an empty netter to make the last game of the regular season 5-2.

And with this 52nd win the Rockets have the franchise record for most wins in a season with 52-16-3-1!

After the game, I finished the Blackhawks game, and Oh, My, God.
8-1 is the game with the most goals since they played Edmonton on October 10, 2008, I believe (I'm not quite sure about the date) and it was an all around perfect game, except for that one Power Play goal Dallas got.
But anyway, it was awesome.
Especially since Jonathan Toews (2 Goals, 1 Assist), Patrick Kane and Nick Leddy (each 1G 2A), Viktor Stalberg and Brian Bickel (each 3A), had three point nights, and 11 out of 18 field players had points - 8 of them with at least 2 points!


And not just did Toews score two with 95 seconds apart, but Kane added the ninth goal as a Kane-o-Rama - one of his famous spin-o-rama moves:

I hope that works!

So, and now I'm skyping with my mom, kind of planning our trip!

See ya!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Due to incredible amounts of spam I had to put the security question back on - I'm sorry :)